A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

Wednesday 24 May 2017

Be strong now

I've been invited by an online MS community to write a letter to my newly diagnosed self that they can share with their members.
I enjoyed doing it, so thought I'd share it here too:

Dear 2004 me,

You are stunned and worried and trying to be brave.
I am older and wiser and have a few things to share:
  • You are hugely stubborn, we know this. You are pig-headed, independent and bloody-minded and sometimes this will help you. But your family and friends will want to look after you. Let them. They are scared too and need to stop feeling helpless.
  • Start looking after your body more, it may not feel like it at the moment, but it's on your side and will try and repair itself in more ways than you can imagine. It will lace up its gloves and step into the ring for you time after time - the least you can do is be kind to it.
  • You are still working, but you do change jobs. Twice. Perspectives change and your professional outlook has shifted too.
  • I know it's on your mind; yes, you do have a child. She is beautiful.
  • NEVER lose your sense of humour. It will be tested, it may get darker, but it remains a remarkably effective lifejacket.
In time you will wake up and those two letters will not be the first thing you think about.
Life will continue; you will stubbornly wear your best high heels and laugh and cry and learn along with it.

You are far, far stronger than you think and I am very proud of you.

Love 2017 me.

Ps that man you're with? The one who didn't run when you found out the news? You're right - he is the one. Marry him.




No comments:

Post a Comment