A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

A mixtape for multiple sclerosis

Friday 20 January 2017

Army

I hit thirteen years with MS yesterday.

I know, exciting times.

So in honour of this inauspicious occasion (although an occasion nowhere near as inauspicious as the one happening across The Pond today) I have compiled a little list of things I’ve learned.

  1. Eye patches are cool: well, they’re not are they, let’s face it. But they might end up being one of the aids (temporary or otherwise) that will make your life that bit easier. Same goes for all those other medical appliances that I try not to look at in the catalogues, but that one day, when I’ve dealt with my pride, might help me.
  1. Advice is helpful, but it really is okay to trust your instincts: By all means seek advice, seek it from medical professionals, fellow MSers, online forum boards, friends and family. But you don’t have to agree with it. If something doesn’t feel right to you, or for where you are at that moment in time, listen to yourself.
  1. Humour is a remarkably effective lifejacket: This is so, so important. It’s not that you have to embark on a stand-up tour as soon as you are diagnosed or turn every crappy incident into a gag-filled after-dinner anecdote, but do try and retain your ability to laugh. Multiple sclerosis takes enough off you, don’t let it take this precious weapon.
  1. A bit of hope is stronger than a lot of fear: I’ve written quite a lot about hope in this blog and where I stand with it. I maintain that it’s helpful and I’m trying to keep it central as I continue with the Tecfidera.
  1. I owe a massive debt of gratitude to my family and friends: obvious, but incredibly, incredibly important. I didn’t know, 13 years ago, quite what the hospital admission was going to mean. I didn’t know it was going to shape my working life, my family plans or continually force subtle shifts in my perspective and personality. But I do know that without my family, my friends, my husband and my daughter I would not have got this far. Thank you all for the phone calls, the desire to understand, the surprise presents in the post, the meals cooked and delivered without me having to ask, the childcare and the pep talks. Thank you for the night-time hugs, the daytime support, the rides to hospital, the cups of tea, the steadying arms, the physio teamwork, the care, the concern and the laughter.
This post is dedicated, with love, to everyone in my army.


No comments:

Post a Comment